Saturday, July 2, 2011

Avocado Shake Recipe- Winner

I wanted to make a quick post and share a recipe for a tropical avocado smoothie I made this morning that I think is a  real winner, and 200 calories less than the original smoothie I posted.

1/2 avocado
1 banana
1/2 cup canned coconut juice
1/2 lime juice
4-5 ice cubes

This recipe is only 299 calories, 13g fat, 48g carbs, and 3.2g protein, which makes me feel a lot better about drinking it as a light breakfast.

Many of you know how I feel about coconut water.... I'm pretty much obsessed. I haven't really found any packaged for sale in the US that taste as good and as fresh as you can get it down in South America. Pure, unadulterated coconut water is nature's sports drink, containing a high level of potassium and minerals. It has more naturally occurring electrolytes than any other natural drink in the world (even more than Gatorade)!

I happened to have a few cans of "coconut juice" in my pantry that Beth accidentally purchased instead of coconut milk when we were making batida's a while back. Canned coconut juice is essentially coconut water with small chunks of coconut pulp, and unfortunately has a bit of sugar and citric acid added. I like the coconut chunks, but I'm not a huge fan of the additional ingredients. That said, the particular brand that I had in my pantry, Foco, has only 10 calories per ounce, making it a much healthier mix-in than yogurt or soy milk. Plus, it gave it a great tropical flavor!


Coconut juice can be found in the ethnic foods section of many grocery stores (don't confuse it for coconut milk!) and can also be found in Mexican and Asian groceries. 

A side note when making smoothies with avocados: avocados turn brown once they've been exposed to air. When you wrap up the 2nd half of the avocado to save for later use, rub 1/2 a lime over the exposed flesh or sprinkle a bit of lime juice on it. Make sure you remove all the air from the plastic bag to make a seal, the air will accelerate the browning. If you make a smoothie with a browned avocado, the taste will still be good, but it definitely won't have the same visual appeal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment