Tuesday, May 29, 2012

June Salad Challenge


I will be totally upfront about the fact that I shamelessly jacked this idea from another blog! I've just discovered "Oh She Glows", a vegan cooking blog, and absolutely love it. The first post I read is the most recent, and it's a damn genius idea. She challenges her readers to a June Salad Challenge, which I have accepted, and want to extend the challenge to you. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind my thievery as it encourages everyone to be just a little bit more healthy for one month. 

Here's the deal: commit to eating 1 salad every day for the month of June. 

There's no reason NOT to accept this challenge. Summer is upon us, which in the Carolina's means a plethora of fresh, locally grown produce begging to be made into a fresh bright salad. This is a fabulous way to cram some extra fruits and veggies into your diet and become just a little bit healthier. Convenient that it's also bathing suit season, and nothing goes with bikinis like a big salad!

We're not just talking mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, croutons and your favorite bottled dressing. That would get boring every day for 30 days. Mix it up. Go outside your comfort zone. Salads don't always have to be veggies on top of mixed greens. Veggies can have fruits, grains, potatoes, pastas, beans, eggs, chicken, seafood, and meat. Salads can be raw, sauteed, steamed, grilled, marinated, and wilted. They can be chilled, hot, or room temperature. The possibilities are endless, and the only thing your salads need to have in common is that they all contain vegetables. The more locally sourced, the better.

In an effort to assist me in achieving success for the June Salad Challenge I've created a new board on Pinterest, Salad Mania. It's empty right now, but over the next few days I'm going to migrate my existing salads from my Eating Clean  and Cutting Weight boards and start adding new salads. I hope to have a board filled with hundreds of salad options by the time my juice fast ends on June 4th (I'll be a little behind on starting the challenge- I'll drink my salads for the first 4 days of June!). 

I'd love to find out who plans on accepting this challenge to eat 1 salad every day for 30 days. Let's get together and support and encourage each other to hit this super healthy goal! Please get on Pinterest and like the salad board if you're participating in this challenge, and if you decide to start a board dedicated to salads too, share the link with me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment